Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Buffet Makeover with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

This is what the Buffet looked like BEFORE!  Let me just say that I had been on the hunt for a tv console to get rid of that awful glass/metal man tv stand that some yahoo sold my husband way back when he didn't know any better at the tv store to sit his huge tv on.  My girlfriend was having a moving/garage sale & had posted it on facebook & there sat this little gem. I was like SOLD!!!!

                 


Material needed for this project are the following:
- Annie Sloan Chalk Paint (or any chalk paint of your preference) I used Old White as my color.
- Annie Sloan Soft Wax, I used Clear & Dark wax. (Again preference, use whatever your heart desires.
- Paint brushes
- Paint Rags (old t-shirt also works great)
- Sander
- Screw driver or flat head to remove hardware


I began by removing all the hardware & then sanding the clear coat off as much as possible. 



Once all the hardware had been removed & buffet had been sanded you will want to wipe it down with a wet rag to remove any dust.  I also gave mine a good spray with the air compressor just in case I missed anything.  Next I began applying the Old White Chalk Paint until the entire buffet was painted.  Next part is the hardest part of it all. LET IT DRY!!!! Nothing I hate worse than waiting for paint to dry. Geez who has time for that.  I need to get on to the next project. Lets get this show on the road. Finally! Its dry! I guess I didn't get a picture of it after it was all painted but clearly you know it was all white.  Because I'm anxious like that I went ahead & put all my hardware back on so I could see the what it looked like and/or if I would want to reuse the hardware that it came with or replace it.  I opted to reuse the original hardware. 

Now you can either stop here & apply your wax if you like how it looks or keep going.  The next part I know stresses some people out b/c they are like what if I screw it up or don't like it. Umm...tough? I can't make that decision for you. I however knew the look I was going for so I proceeded.  And out came the sander.  I scuffed up the sides, the center, the top, the edges, you name it. After scuffing to your hearts desire, again wipe it down with a wet rag & blow it off with the air compressor. (Not necessarily in that order) Then I applied the dark wax.  It kinda gives it an aged look maybe even sorta dirty to some people. But I like it.  Let the wax set & in a day or so go over it again with the clear wax which is going to give it that smooth finish.

(You might want to note also that the dark wax goes on pretty heavy & dark. So you might want to try it on a practice board or in a spot that won't be seen much on the actual buffet to see if you like it & want to continue. If it's too heavy, you might try doing the clear coat of wax first & then coming back & doing the dark wax over it as it doesn't go on so dark & you're in a little more control.)







No comments:

Post a Comment